My god - ess

My god - ess

Friday, 11 January 2008

"In God We Trust"

This is the first One hundred American dollar bill I have ever seen or handled. It was a gift to my daughter before her sojourn overseas...and to actually see and hold a 'green back' with the mighty words "In God We Trust" encrusted on the filthy lucre made a mockery of the great United States Constitution. Money- God, God - Money...nup...does not compute...

"Render unto Caesar...etc".

I remember some Yankee friends I once knew back in the 1970's saying that our Australian money looked like 'Monopoly' play money...well, sirs, now I have see yours, yours has a bigger reputation and yet, it is just a piece of paper, sadly, that could be used by a great many people from where it comes, to give health, food, equality, education and a future. Seems like too many over there are too anxious to hang onto this 'green' piece of paper and too mean to pay higher taxes to help the poor.


Here are some comments on the US elections from some OZ writers to a paper:

Personally, though, I think it’s time for a black President. The great inequalities in American society are characterised far more by race than gender. I also think it’s time for generational change in America, as happened here recently. Both these needs would be better symbolised and embodied in the election of Barack Obama. However, it’s unlikely to happen. Even if the vote turns out for him (will the young bother?), they’ll probably shoot him first, America being what it is, righteous and psychopathic.

and this:


Clinton made some decisions I just could not support - most notable her vote for the Iraq war and refusal to speak out about that and the general abuse of power of the current administration. So despite my years of support for Clinton, Obama is the better candidate and if I was a US citizen he would get my vote and I’d be prepared to volunteer for his campaign. His message of unity, hope and individual empowerment is not only inspirational, but is what the US (and all of us) need. His track record and positions he holds on various issues are all clearly outlined on his website and although Clinton would no doubt make a good President and accomplish some good things for the US and for the world, Obama will be able to truly change ‘politics as usual’. He is offering some clever ideas on a range of policies and issues and also will really open up the process of government to be transparent and honest and involve citizens as much as possible (again, all outlined on his website if any reader doubts what I’ve said).

Obama is simply the better candidate.


It is interesting that we so far away take such an interest in other nations politics. Why? Because they affect the world, whether it be Britains, Frances, Russian or USA.

Guess where I ( fearfully) stand?

No comments: