My god - ess

My god - ess

Sunday, 9 October 2011

Long Time No Write

I have forgotten.
I have forgotten how to write privately without any concern for those who might read.
I must get back into it.

I have been going to counselling...(such an American thing to do I know, but we in Australia are finally catching up to those things that really matter and it has nothing to do with Psychiatry....it has to do with Mental health).

So here I sit...late at night on a different medium from my usual old clunky and ancient computer, set in the bowels of my home, away from my loved ones and away from the warmth of my lover and our pup.

I sit being with my man, who is watching a foreign movie, I think from Spain this time. He loves 'other' cultures and we in our poorness have tried to embark on infecting this on our children. It seems to have worked thus far.

Our son is still in South Korea.
Our eldest daughter who turns 32 tomorrow, is ensconced in her beloved theatre in Sydney.
Our youngest has just married for the second time to (this time) the man of her dreams. She has just returned from a 'honeymoon' to die for.
Well we would have.

When we went on our 'honey moon' we went with a few dollars in our pockets and a pocket full of sand in a mini minor to the small settlement (it is not even a hamlet) west of here. He was scalded by a sick radiator of the little mouse car and we spent our three day 'honeymoon' having sex careful of his burnt side.

Our baby went on a months tour of Europe.

She sent back photos and updates and even rang me from Paris.

She said; "Europeans are filthy animals. They cough, spit, and wipe snot and leave toilets unflushed. They have no 'rules' ( "Rules"  I queried?) about roads and etiquette and dog shit. Parisians and Romans leave dog shit everywhere. They, she said complain about Asians...I have travelled around SE Asia ( Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos) and I expect the poverty to be dirty...but Europeans think they are superior...THEY AREN'T "..she said.

She saw London and Bath, Bristol and Oxford, Dublin, Cork ( where her paternal ancestry began) and Paris, Rome and Dubai.

She has been the eyes of our dreams.

She said;
"Mum. Dad would be disgusted. You know more than anyone else and you don't need to have travelled. I am grateful for all you have taught me...how to eat in 'foreign ' restaurants..how the tables are set and the wine glasses are used. I didn't know that some people, no matter the private schooling they were given, were not taught these basics".

She told us how we did good.

My baby travelled and saw and cried and took photos...she did it for her and her new husband and her parents...her poor and travel poor parents.
(J and A...Guess where?)

She reassured us we were fine...we 'knew' without having had travelled.

BUT:

I wish
I wish for him
I wish for me
Those beautiful sights and sounds and being theres.

I wanted for me to learn and experience and be.
I wanted for him to be reassured, uplifted, soared on the wings of 'I knew it, I knew it'...Nothing but sadness and melancholy remains for us..;.

But for her
And for all our babies....
They are doing it for us..music, education, travel and living.

One thing that is left for all of them...

The getting and giving of babies......

Now there is a thing.......

2 comments:

Jack K. said...

That photo of two really wonderful young people could only have been taken beneath the Eiffel Tower. I'm sorry that they didn't get to know some of the people in their travels. We have friends from near Dijon, France and they are wonderful.

I remember my first sight of South Viet Nam. It was in 1965 at the port town of Vung Tau. The city reminded me of a Mexican border town, it was dirty. I did get an opportunity to meet some of the Vietnamese people and they were friendly and hospitable.

Glad to know that the kids were able to send you the fantastic photos. I hope you will share some of them either here or on your FB page.

My best to you all.

Polly said...

OH dear Jack, Thank you for your comment. Of course I was being sarcastic re where Jess and Adrian were photographed...it was bleeding obvious.

They met some lovely people...not sure what you meant but guess the people (generally) spat, left the toilet unflushed, men snotting everywhere was a bit of a shock. Jess went to SE Asia a couple of years ago. She said;
This is a poor area of the world. You do not expect it to be 'clean' ..you know what to expect. However Europe was a shock because of the arrogance of the English, the dismissiveness of the Parisians ( I have heard this before...apparently the southern French are more friendly) and the Romans were the nicest.A B&B owner in Bath, England made her cry, he was so rude and abusive. They demanded a refund and found a lovely place nearby. The places were wonderful she said...and we are so proud she has had an experience we could only dream of.