Where ever I walk, move, talk
They surround me
Well, in my mind at least.
But it seems in the wind, the movement of the gums
the eucalyptus trees creak their names.
They seem, now to touch and move me
entering my very cells, my DNA
reminding me of their existence
That once was within this ancient ground
and I now speak their names.
Within the heart of this country, this land
Within the soul of me, where ever that may be
They lie and snigger at my naivety
And laugh at my belief in them and their stories
That speak of them and their names
I see the world through different eyes
Through a different time, when women were slaves
and prone to death at each birth
They covered themselves ready for their homeland
But were in a hot, dry place that would forever
mark their names in records.
And so my ancestors are with me today
They walk with me and talk together in my head.
I have ancient photos of some and they seem distant still
But I try to keep them within knowing
for it is their names, their stories, their faces
That I am helping to give eternal life.
No comments:
Post a Comment