Another day comes and goes and it is in memorium
that I remember my father.
At last there is hope for our troops to return
From a misguided and misjudged war
Where we followed our so called 'Ally' into
the valley of darkness.
He, my father said, before his demise, that, on this day
as he marched up George St in Sydney each year
"You would never get to meet such a bunch
of pacifists anywhere, ever!"
They forgot to tell us.
And so the day has become a rabble rousing ruse
That makes a young nation stir
through the commercialisation and the nonsense
Some of us remembers to remember
"Lest We Forget".
Coz we did.
To dad and your mates,
To my grandfather in the past,
To my brother being called up for the
"Un-popular War"
I am sorry we forgot
And marched once again into the
Valley of thunder.
I was going to go to a service today
Because of our change of Government and heart.
But the nonsense blocked my way
The disrespect and 'Americanisation of Emily'
(ie of our National day)
brings me to my knees once again
And I long for the time when we did it
The Australian Way.
Quietly, singularly, with a sob in our singing
of "Abide With Me" and "Lord Of Our Father's"
For even as an Atheist it moves me
To remember...ANZAC DAY
A day we lost, a day of failure, a day of thanksgiving.
LEST WE FORGOT!!
2 comments:
I want to send you and the rest of the citizens of your wonderful country a resounding THANK YOU for your sacrifices.
I truly wish we had not gotten into this spectacular debacle. I am not sure how we will get out of it. Pandora's box has been opened and we may never put all of the problems back in.
But, where there are challenges, there are opportunities to serve with integrity, care about those you serve and share the love in your heart.
Thank you also for the work you did in the Coral Sea during WW11.
Cheers
Post a Comment