In reality our Christmas comes in the centre of summer, when children have their longest break from school and when the heat of the day sizzles your feet and your hair sticks to your face and the last thing yo think of is a hot English meal.
For all my grandparents life, my parents and my own thus far we have always celebrated Christmas like it was mid-winter. Hot roasts, hot vegetables, egg nog and all.
Now slowly we can see the change in attitudes as we are 'encouraged' ( through the power of advertising and capitalistic/materialism) to change our Christmas family meal.
Barbeques, prawns, salads and cold meat are all being touted.
In actual fact I know of not one family who do a barbeque as a Christmas meal.
We started a few years ago to opt for cold lamb, pork, chicken and beef with salads of all descriptions..which still meant I did a lot of cooking but now on the day or evening before.
So this year, being a little empathetic with my daughters partners mum who hails from Canada who will be missing her son dreadfully, I have volunteered to buy and cook a turkey. I have never done this. I have gotten little hints from the mum herself and other people so am hopeful that I will do right by the the turkey and by the Canadian.
I searched for 'cranberry sauce' and found that there are three types. They are all imported from Yankee land so had to guess at what I should do.
So we will be having a hot meal in the hot southern summer, turkey no less, which is not a tradition in either parents history but am making a statement on behalf of our 'ring-in' from the Northern climes.
And so to our Christmas carol.

Early one Christmas Day, a joey Kangaroo,
Was far from home and lost in a great big zoo.
"Mummy, where's my mummy, they've taken her away"
"We'll help you find your mummy son. Hop up on the sleigh."
Up beside the bag of toys little Joey hopped
But they hadn't gone far when Santa stopped
Unharnessed all the reindeer and Joey wondered why.
Then he heard a far off booming in the sky.
Chorus:
Six white boomers, snow white boomers
Racing Santa Claus through the blazing sun
Six white boomers, snow white boomers
On his Australian run.
Pretty soon old Santa began to feel the heat
Took his fur-lined boots off to cool his feet
Into one popped Joey, feeling quite OK
While those old man kangaroos kept pulling on the sleigh.
Chorus;
Joey said to Santa, "Santa what about the toys
Aren't you giving some to these girls and boys?"
"They've all got their presents son, we were here last night.
This trip is an extra trip, Joey's special flight."
Chorus;
Soon the sleigh was flashing, right over Marble Bar
"Slow down there," cried Santa. "It can't be far.
Come up on my lap son, and have a look around."
"There she is that's mummy, bounding up and down!"
Chorus;
Well that's the bestest Christmas treat that Joey ever had
Curled up in mother's pouch all snug and glad
The last they saw was Santa headed northward from the sun
The only year the boomers worked a double run.
2 comments:
Here is a site that will provide you more information concerning the proper roasting of your turkey.
We gave up on the turkey for Thanksgiving and Christmas once the kids left home.
My best to you and your family this joyous season.
Merry Christmas Jack, and thank you for the site. I will take it all in and chose the one I think I can do.
I am nervous about it, but will let you know how it turns out!
This may never ever happen again.
Hehehe!
Love to all your family and hope 2008 is wonderful for you all.
Cheers...hic
Post a Comment